Monday, November 26, 2007

Turkey Day --> Whoops

I haven't really been as lazy as it looks. I've just been lazy about posting about what I've been doing. I went through my anatomical adaptation circuit again at the gym on Wednesday morning last week. My hamstrings were still sore from the wind running on Monday, so I substituted a couple different exercises for the leg exercises I usually do. Instead of doing two groups of four lifts, I did one group of six and then a group of three since there weren't as many people as usual in the gym (it was 4:30 am). I don't think I'm making any progress with AA thing and I'm getting tired of it anyway.

Thursday was Thanksgiving, which meant the third annual Simmonster-Ketfish Thanksgiving Football Challenge (we don't really call it that). We headed to Blackfoot to play some six-a-side touch football in the 10 degree weather. It was a whole lot of fun, although it was a whole lot of basically wind sprints which meant I had sore quads, calves and hip-flexors for a couple days afterwards.

Saturday, I decided to start the hypertrophy phase at the gym. This is a six-week phase during which the goal is to constantly stress my creatine phosphate/adenosine triphosphate energy system, which will cause my muscles to grow. To do this, the load is increased to the point where I end up failing to be able to lift the last (couple) rep(s) of any set. The first week or two, this doesn't usually happen to me as I generally underestimate my 1 rep max, but I'll get there. Saturday, I hit legs, arms and abs and Sunday, was chest, shoulders, back and abs.

Today, my goal was to do a long, slow, easy run after work. The weather was pretty good, with calm winds and it wasn't too cold when I left. By the time I got to Sunnyside, however, the traffic was very heavy (must have been about 4 pm) and I could no longer hear the mile marker beeps from my phone. It had also cooled off a bunch as I found out when I had to wait for the walk signal on a traffic light for a couple minutes. I ended up doing seven miles, which was about a mile more than I wanted to. The pavement I was running on was pretty brutal on my joints. I was feeling great after 3.5 miles. Wish it had been less than 3.5 miles back to my house from that point. On the bright side, I broke 250 miles on the year with this run and am now sitting at 252.6 miles.

No comments: