Monday, November 5, 2007

The End of Daylight Saving Time

This is always a tough time of year for me. The end of DST means that I will now be going to work in the dark and be getting home at or after sundown for several months. It's always hard the first couple weeks to feel like going out and starting a run in the dark and dealing with traffic in the dark can be an adventure.

Contrary to the above, tonight's run was one of those runs that reminds me why I like running. Starting out, I felt like I could do anything and all my body parts were playing well together. Most of the run was in pretty heavy traffic, so the adrenaline from running in front of so many people may have had something to do with it, but I just love it when I'm not just running to get home so I can quit running.

This route also goes past a McDonald's restaurant between miles three and four. Seeing all those people lining up to shove high-calorie, low nutritional value food into their bodies always blows my mind. I mean, seriously, there must have been fifteen cars in line. Everyone knows that stuff is not good for you and the restaurant is right next to an Albertson's grocery store where one can even buy pre-prepared food that might not clog one's arteries at such a rapid rate. The added nutrition they put into real food is worth the extra dollar or two that it costs. If a single guy like me can find the time to make home-cooked meals that taste good, I have a hard time believing that anyone needs to eat Mickey D's for dinner. I'll never understand it.

No comments: