Sunday, April 13, 2008

That water's cold. I wouldn't recommend swimming right now.

Man, do I suck at updating a blog. It's just that I can't find that much good to write about.

March was a really bad month for me. I sprained or broke or something in my wrist on that skiing trip back in February and thought I would wait until it healed before lifting weights again. Well, it still hasn't healed so I'm going to have to see a doctor about it. Then, I got the flu and it of course moved right to my lungs, so that kept me from running for a few weeks and made it really hurt when I did start back.

Now, the good news. I have started training in earnest now for the Sawtooth Relay, which is in the middle of June. I've gotten a team together from guys at work who are or have been runners. I'm the captain, which is something I've never done before, always preferring to let someone else do all the organizing. There's a lot more to this than I ever would have realized. So far, I've gotten half of the $330 entry fee from the project we all work for (The AMWTP), which is surprising in and of itself. We've got about two months before the race, and I'm looking forward to bugging the crap out of my team to get them all to train since they're all older than I am and have wives and kids. I think it's going to be a lot of fun.

I went fly fishing last Friday, a pastime that always reminds me why I like living in this area. It was a gorgeous day (a little windy, but that's normal) and we floated the South Fork of the Snake River from Shelley to Firth, ID.


We didn't catch a lot of fish, but it was good to just get out and be on and in the river, and we did each catch at least one fish.


The best fish of the day was a 17-inch brown caught by the owner of the drift boat, which is as it should be, but he caught it on a spin-casting set-up, bouncing a big night crawler off the bottom of the river. That'll break the heart of any fly-fisherman. Yes, that is snow at the back right of the picture.

After we got done floating, I decided to go wade a spot we call "The Demon Fish Hole". Last fall we went fishing there several times and got to watch a whole bunch of giant trout jumping out of the water after some kind of flies. We could never get them to take anything we were casting. It was very frustrating. So, I hike out to the spot and get in the water, which is lower and slower right now than it is in the fall. That's a good thing. As I'm wading to a promising-looking riffle, my foot slips on a rock, then slips a bit more and I'm putting my left hand down and bending my knees to keep from going over backward. That's never a good thing when you're standing in three feet of river. I was soaked with cold water and had small streams of it running down the back of my legs. Fortunately, it was a fairly warm day and I kept fishing for about 20 minutes, until I started to feel really cold and I figured it would be a good idea to head back to the car and change into the warm, dry extra set of clothes I always bring with me when I go fishing. Now I know why I do that.

No comments: